Translate

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Animated Movies

We all knew something like this would have to come out eventually.  After my thorough, thought-provoking post earlier concerning the pros and cons of two major animation companies, a top tens list was perfectly inevitable.

Alas, this top tens list isn't exactly a "top tens" list.  Which means that these ten movies aren't exactly my favorite animated movies out there, but they're really really really close.  They're on this list because if you asked me if I wanted to watch one of them, I'd likely say yes.  (Unless I'm doing something of massive importance.  ;P)  

Anyway, here we go.  Maybe these are actually my top ten favorite... My opinion changes, though.  All I know is that, as I said a couple posts ago, Kung Fu Panda 2 is my all time favorite animated movie.  So with that, we'll start off the list with:

1.
Kung Fu Panda 2!  Betcha didn't see that coming ;D  I loved this movie a lot.  Pushing aside my tendencies to love all things involved with pandas, this movie had nearly everything going for it.  Great plot, likable characters, wonderful storytelling, awesome visuals... I can't really think of much negative stuff.  It's even family friendly!  Awesome action, great music... Okay, I'm done XD

2.
Disney's Bolt takes number two on my list.  This is another great movie.  Bolt is a dog on a TV show who thinks everything is real.  But can I trust you with a secret?  Everything Bolt knows is not real.  Cats are not evil (actually, that's debatable...), there is no "green-eyed man" and ... *gasp* could Penny only pretend to love him?  But Bolt is the great story of a "super" dog who realizes that even without super powers he can be heroic.  Awesome.

3.
Kung Fu Panda.  The first one takes third here.  It has basically all the awesome stuff the second has (though not in the same ways... that would just be repetitive, an adjective which most certainly should never be used to describe Kung Fu Panda 2.  Ever XD)  This first film is about a panda named Po who must become the Dragon Warrior to fight Tai Lung and save all of China.  SPOILER WARNING  He must use the Dragon Scroll to become the all-powerful warrior, and when he finally does, he sees that the scroll is empty.  This is perhaps the film's strongest feature in my sight, because it shows that in order to be special, you have to "believe your special."  (Mr. Ping, Kung Fu Panda.)  END SPOILER WARNING

4.
Tangled. Yeah, whatever, I like certain "princess" movies XD  What can you expect?  With Tangled you find likable characters, fun, witty dialogue and songs, Pascal, and a white horse.  (Pascal and the horse, whose name is Maximus, don't talk at all during the film and still remain heavily likable.  Just ... just wow XD)  And also Flynn/Eugene is just amazing.  XD  "All the things we've seen and it's only eight in the morning.  Gentlemen, this is a very big day!"

5.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  The villain in this movie is the darkest, creepiest villain out of any Disney animated movie, in my opinion.  Yes, even darker than Maleficent.  (And I haven't even seen that new movie yet...)  But his darkness doesn't quite pull down the lofty funness of Quasimodo and his gargoyle pals.  Quasi is a hunchback who has never been outside of the sanctuary he abides in, and when he finally leaves, he is ridiculed endlessly by the people for his "ugly" looks, when he is rescued by the Gypsy woman Esmerelda.  When Frollo reveals to Quasi that he intends to hunt her and the Gypsies down, Quasi must then choose between his safe, sheltered life and protecting the one woman who ever seemed to care for him.  Sounds like they get together at the end, doesn't it?  SPOILER WARNING  They don't.  END SPOILER WARNING

6.
How to Train Your Dragon has to nab this spot.  Hiccup is a pretty likable shrimp of a Viking who meets up with Toothless, a dragon, to forever change the island of Berk.  It's a fun fantasy adventure filled with adventure and bold heroics as Hiccup tries to convince his dragon-slaying father Stoic the Vast that perhaps the dragons aren't as bad as the Vikings think.  It has great dialogue, witty banter and a fun soundtrack (which earned composer John Powell his first Academy Award nomination.  Congratulations, Mr. Powell!  :D)  

7.
Frozen.  Yes, another princess movie makes its way onto my top ten list XD  But it's Disney, so what do you expect?  But perhaps you shouldn't grow to expect that from Disney anymore, since with two twists Disney throws its original princess movie formula out of the window and does something surprisingly fresh and welcome.  It pokes fun at the "love at first sight without knowing who that random prince is" concept.  It has great animation and some great songs.  And a surprising choice at the end that had me left surprised, because it was most un-Disney-like.  (Instead of un-princess-like... haha, get it, get it?  Whatever XD)

8.
Eight is a pretty good number.  It's an even number, it's divisible by four to get two, and it's divisible by two to get four.  That doesn't happen with any number but eight.  Eight is unique.  Speaking of unique, I'm reminded of a certain movie called Up.  How often do you see a film about an old dude floating away in a house shadowed by colorful balloons?  How often do you meet adventurers who have built collars for dogs that enable the dogs to speak?  How often do you journey with a Junior Wilderness Explorer in the heart of the jungle?  How often do you meet large tropical birds named Kevin?  Not too often.  Very unique.

9.
Megamind.  This movie was great.  Great story, great animation, fun characters and witty dialogue.  Great casting choices too.  Will Ferrell as Megamind and Brad Pitt and Metroman are the best.  This film didn't need the extra help to earn my approval, but it also doesn't hurt it in my eyes that the main character is blue. (Pumbaa pops in. "I'd say he's brownish gold!") Not like down in the dumps, but he's actually the color blue.  Nice, right?  

10.
I hate top tens lists. I mean, there's always an end to it.  I could just go up and change the title to top animated movies... But no.  I'll stick it to ten.  Torn between two choices, I'll have to go with The Lion King.  The Croods was very very close, but I'll go with The Lion King.  Again, great acting, great animation, beautiful songs and a wonderful story.  Not to mention a very emotional and beautifully sweeping soundtrack by Academy Award winning musical genius Hans Zimmer.  *sighs*

So, there's my top tens list.  Not only did I give the list, but I also gave some little pieces of the films that made me enjoy them so much.  Now I feel like a very critical reviewer...or not.  

Anyway, thanks for coming and thanks for waiting so long for this post XD  I had a busy weekend ;P

Myth: the "Panda With a Pencil"

No comments:

Post a Comment